Menu Content/Inhalt
Home arrow Frequent Questions arrow Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions PDF Print E-mail
Written by Kristie Klein   
Friday, 28 February 2014


Top FAQs

$ What are your office hours and where do I call if I have a question?

A: Our office hours are Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday: 7:30-4:30, Wednesday: 7:30-6:00. You can reach us at (219)322-2211, Ext. 5

$ I’m moving into the Town of Schererville and need to know what to do to get the water turned on in my name.

A: A $50.00 water deposit is required for all commercial and residential customers. The responsible party needs to come into our office, with a Driver’s License or State ID, and pay the $50.00 deposit with cash, check or credit card. At that time, information such as effective date of property possession, number of people living at the residence and a phone number will be asked. We will give you a WELCOME TO SCHERERVILLE packet at that time also with helpful information about the community.

$ Can I transfer my water service to a new address in Schererville?

A: No, you can’t. You need to pay a new, $50.00 Water Deposit. If there is still a deposit on file for the old address, it will be applied to the Final Water Bill.

$ When can I get my water deposit back? Can it be applied to my water bill?

A: Your water deposit can be refunded back to you or applied to your water bill after one (1) year’s residency at the discretion of the Clerk-Treasurer of the Town based upon the payment history and payment pattern of the customer. At that time, you can call our office (219)322-2211, ext. 5, to start the procedure.

$ What day is my water bill due?

A: Your water bill is due on the 24th of every month. If the 24th falls on a weekend (Saturday or Sunday), it is due the following Monday.

$ Why do I have to be home to get my water turned on?

A: To prevent any water damage by a faucet that is left on our a clogged/plugged drain

$ What method of payment can be used to pay my water bill or any other fee or service necessary to be paid at the Clerk-Treasurer’s Office?

A: We accept cash, check, money order, or credit card (Visa, MasterCard or Discover ONLY) to pay for your water bill or any other fee at the Clerk-Treasurer’s Office. You may also pay your utility bill online at There is a link on our website to pay your utility bill also – visit

$ Can I setup my utility bill to be paid automatically every month?

A: Yes, you can! Sign-up forms are available at the Clerk-Treasurer’s Office and if you Click Here! *PLEASE REMEMBER TO INCLUDE A VOIDED CHECK WITH YOUR APPLICATION!!

$ Can I pay my utility bill online?

A: Yes. This is setup through your bank – Bill Payment. Your bank will mail us a check – this is NOT electronic. Your payment is usually received about 7-10 days after it is setup to pay. Our address is 10 E. Joliet Street, Schererville, IN 46375. Please include your utility account number on your check. Effective October, 2014: You may also pay your utility bill online at There is a link on our website to pay your utility bill also – visit

$ What day is garbage and recycling pick-up? Can I put out a couch for pickup?

A: If you live on the North side of U.S. 30, your trash/recycling day is Wednesday. If you live on the South side of U.S. 30, your trash/recycling day is Thursday. Recycling is picked up every other week. Click here for the current recycling schedule. If a National Holiday falls during the week (New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, or Christmas Day), your trash/recycling will be picked up one (1) day later than normal. Example: If your trash day is normally Wednesday, it will be picked up Thursday.

One (1) large item is allowed per week for pickup. Please call Allied Waste Management 219-662-8600 for any questions.

$ Where do I pay a traffic ticket?

A: Traffic tickets are paid in the Schererville Town Court office, located at 25 E. Joliet Street (attached to the Schererville Police Department – across from Town Hall). Their office hours are Monday – Thursday, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., closed Friday – Sunday. Their phone number is 219-865-5579.

$ Where do I register to vote?

A: Voter Registration forms are available at the Lake County Government Building –

2293 N. Main Street, Crown Point, IN 46307 – (219)755-3795 or the Clerk-Treasurer’s Office. You may also register online visiting:

$ What is the Branch and Leaf Collection schedule?

A: Click here to view!

$ Where do I dispose of household hazardous waste materials?

A: Either call 1-800-946-4449, (219)769-3820, or visit

$ Do I get any discount on my water bill for filling my pool or watering my grass?

A: From the time your water meter is read in the beginning of May to the time it is read in the beginning of September, residents do get a discount on their Sewer rate (we call that Summer Sewer Rates).

Let’s explain: An average household uses 2,000 gallons of water per person, per month. If 2 people live in a house, they should use approximately 4,000 gallons of water per month (2 people X 2,000 gallons = 4,000 gallons). During the Summer Sewer Rates, if they use 10,000 gallons of water, they are only charged for 4,000 gallons of sewage, but still pay for the 10,000 gallons of water they used.

If you plan on filling your pool/hot tub prior to May 1st or after September 1st, please read your water meter before you begin water usage and after you are done. Call the readings into the Clerk-Treasurer's Office 219-322-2211 Ext.5.

$ When does the town test the severe weather alarm?

Sirens are activated/tested at 12:00 (noon) on the first Friday of every month. The only time the siren would not be tested as part of that program is if the weather conditions appear to be right for the generation of a tornado/severe weather.


Last Updated ( Monday, 16 February 2015 )
Next >