Check with the Building Department before beginning home-improvement projects. Permits are required for home-improvement projects, including electrical, mechanical, structural or plumbing work. As a result of getting a permit, an inspector will check the work. Inspections provide a measure of safety to protect your life and property. If you are not sure whether or not your project requires a permit just contact the Building Department.
Projects That Usually Require Permits:
- Finishing a Basement
- Re-roofing, re-siding, etc.
- Installing electrical outlets
- Replacing doors, windows, etc.
- Remodeling kitchens or bathrooms
- Installing a pool, spa or hot tub
- Building an addition, including seasonal rooms
- Installing appliances and replacements such as furnaces, boilers, water heaters, fireplaces
- Building/installing a fence, a shed or a deck
If you are planning to make home improvements, contact the Building Department to find out what building safety code provisions apply and if you need a permit.