Hoosiers Can Report Damage From Heavy Rain and Flooding


Hoosier homeowners, renters, businesses, and private non-profit organizations that sustained uninsured damage caused by severe storms and flooding starting on or after February 15 can report damage online at: http://bit.ly/2018rainfall.

A link to the form is also available on the Indiana Department of Homeland Security (IDHS) website at dhs.in.gov. In the middle of the page under "Featured Topics," click on " Heavy Rain and Flooding; February 15, 2018 and continuing.”

Individuals will be asked to provide their name, address, phone number and type of damage the property sustained. Losses can include structural damage to homes and loss of personal property. Information gathered from citizens will assist county and state agencies in determining the scope of damage. 

For questions, contact your county emergency management agency. Contact information is available at dhs.in.gov/2797.htm

Individuals without Internet access are encouraged to contact a friend, family member or neighbor for assistance. Web access is also available at many libraries, religious institutions, community centers or other public facilities. If none of those options are available, individuals may also contact their county emergency management agency to report damage. 

This is NOT an application for a grant with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Information will be used to help local emergency management agencies and the Indiana Department of Homeland Security with preliminary damage assessments and to determine if federal assistance can be pursued.

Media Contact:

Indiana Department of Homeland Security
Office of Public Affairs
PIO-on-duty: 317-234-6713

Information for Citizens that Need Assistance – FLOODING EVENT

  1. They need to contact their City or Town Hall and or Township Trustee’s offices to see if there is any local assistance.  There could be local assistance from the City or Town Public Works and Fire Department.
  2. They need to contact their home owners/renters insurance company.
  3. They need to report their damages.  THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT.  See below for instructions to report damages.
  4. They need to contact the Merrillville Branch of the American Red Cross to obtain a FREE clean up kit.  They can also ask them if they have any other type of assistance:

American Red Cross, Merrillville
791 E 83rd Ave, Merrillville, IN 46410
(219) 756-5360

  1. They need to contact the Lake County Economic Development Office to see if they qualify for any type of assistance.  219-755-3225.
  2. They need to contact 211. 211 is a program that helps people find services needed.
  3. They can contact our office with any questions. Lake County Homeland Security & Emergency Management Agency 219-755-3549.
Back to news