2021 Garbage/Recycling Calendar
Republic Services, the Town’s refuse contractor, observes six holidays throughout the year:
- Memorial Day
- July Fourth
- Labor Day
- Christmas Day
- New Year’s Day
Trash/recycle pickup will be delayed by one day when/if one of these holidays falls on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday. If your pick up day is Thursday and a holiday falls on a Thursday, your pick up will be moved back to Friday. Your pick up will not be delayed when the holiday falls on a Friday.
Republic Services will collect a limited amount of bulk items along with the regular pick-up. One large item per week (furniture, appliances, etc.) will be picked up. A mattress with the box spring is considered one item. All wood and carpeting must be cut into four-foot lengths and bundled. Construction and demolition debris (not to exceed one cubic yard) must be contained and not exceed 50 lbs. If you have a construction project such as roofs, siding, fences, decks, major remodeling and concrete work you need to have a dumpster on site for debris removal. Refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, and dehumidifiers containing Freon must have the Freon evacuated for removal. Before picking up any of these items, Republic Services must receive documentation that all Freon has been removed from the appliance. Contact Republic Services at 219-662-8600 or www.republicservices.com for additional information.
Hazardous Waste needs to be disposed of properly. The refuse driver will pick up Latex paint provided it is dried up with newspaper or kitty litter and left open. The Lake County Solid Waste Management District has drop off sights for oil base paints and other household hazardous waste. A schedule of drop off sights, along with other valuable recycling information may be found by visiting their website at www.lcswmd.com.
Grass clippings (not leaves) may be disposed with your weekly refuse. Leaves cannot go into the landfills.
Acceptable Recycle Items
- Aluminum, steel and tin food/beverage containers
- #1 through #2 plastic food/beverage containers
- Clear, green and brown glass food/beverage bottles
- Mixed papers: cereal boxes, flyers, copy paper, corrugated cardboard, magazines, catalogs, paper grocery bags, junk mail and newsprint
Non-Acceptable Recycle Items
- Any container from oil, antifreeze, windshield fluid or other car liquids.
- Plastic trays or pots from flowers and plants.
- Salt bags, top soil bags, packaging plastic, LED light bulbs, plastic toys, aerosol spray cans, window glass, rubber products, mirrors and plastic bags.
- Fabrics, wood, drinking glasses, Styrofoam or containers used to store chemicals and paints.
Recycling is picked up every two weeks.