Town Government


Frequent Questions

Here you will find questions that are frequently asked of the Administration Department. If you have a specific question not on the list feel free to contact us. You can also use the search bar the top of the page.

Administration Questions

Questions & Answers

When are Town Council Meetings held and may I attend?

The Town Council holds regular meetings on the second Wednesday of the month, with the exception of January, when the meeting is held on the third Wednesday of the month. The Council may, on occasion, hold a special meeting when needed. All Town Council meetings are open to the public. Meeting dates and times may fluctuate, so please check the Event Calendar for the date. Holidays and other events may also affect the meeting schedule.

Meetings can be viewed online via our Youtube Channel here:

Or on our Facebook Page:

back to top

How many Council members are there and how long is the term of office?

There are five wards in the Town of Schererville and each ward is represented by a Council member. Council Members have four-year terms, which are staggered.

Click here to view the ward and precinct map.

back to top

How can I contact my Council member?

You may contact your Council member by contacting the Administrative Assistant of the Town. You will be provided with an email, a cell phone number (if applicable) or you may leave a message with the Administrative Assistant who will then forward the message to your Council member. You may also access this information via the Town Council section of the website.

back to top

What does the Town Council do?

The five Town Council Members are the legislative body for the Town. They make policy decisions in accord with procedures and responsibilities set out in State law. The Town Council appoints several boards and commissions as well as various advisory committees and task forces which are created from time to time.

back to top

May I speak at a Town Council meeting?

Yes, there is an item on the agenda which opens the floor for any citizen to speak. Citizens are asked to keep their comments to within 3 minutes as a courtesy to others. Written information may be presented to provide detailed information.

back to top

What does the Town Manager do?

The position of the Town Manager is quickly becoming the most effective form of local government administration in the State of Indiana. The goal of the Town Manager's Office is to ensure that the residents of Schererville enjoy the highest quality of life possible. The Town Manager carries out policies and directives of the Council as well as running the daily operation of Town Government. The Manager provides the staff of the Town, as well as the residents of the community, with a decision-making and informational source. The role of the Town Manager also extends into the Building and Planning Department, where proper planning and infrastructure improvements need to be addressed on a daily basis. Other duties include the annual budget preparation, serving as the administrative head of town government, and overseeing community projects.

back to top

What Holidays does the Town observe?

The following Holidays are currently observed by the Town of Schererville:

  • New Year’s Day
  • Martin Luther King Day
  • Good Friday
  • Primary Election Day (Local Elections),
  • Memorial Day
  • Independence Day
  • Labor Day
  • General Election Day
  • Veteran’s Day
  • Thanksgiving 
  • Friday after Thanksgiving
  • Christmas Eve
  • Christmas
  • New Year’s Eve.

back to top

What are Halloween Hours?

Halloween Hours are from 5 p.m. – 7 p.m. and always take place on October 31st.

back to top

How can I contact my State Senator or Representative?

You may contact the Indiana House of Representatives at (317) 232-9600, (800) 382-9842.

Contact your Indiana State Senator at (317) 232-9400, (800) 382-9467 or search through the Legislators web site regarding state government issues.

For information regarding federal issues and federal laws you may contact your U.S. House Representatives, or U.S. Senators, or contact the Federal Citizens Information Center @ 800-333-4636.

back to top