Parks & Recreation

Frequently Asked Questions

Parks Department Questions

Questions & Answers

How do I sign up for a park program?

Registration can either be done in person at the Schererville Town hall Clerk's Office (10 E. Joliet St) or use our online Catalog.

NOTE: Service fees are charged for online registration.

back to top

Can I sign up for a program the day the program starts?

Due to the fact that we purchase program supplies, trip tickets, and order buses we request that you sign up for a program or trip in advance of the registration deadline for the program.

back to top

If myself or my child is unable to attend a program do I get a refund?

No refunds will be given for any trip unless there is a waiting list or a replacement is found. NO refunds will be given after the first program meeting. Full refunds will be given if a program is cancelled. All refunds will be processed with a signed claim and may take up to 6 weeks. No cash refunds are permitted. If a participant pays by credit card and needs to cancel their registration, they will NOT be refunded for the service fee charge that is collected through our Online Catalog.

back to top

Who handles snow removal/leaf pickup?

Public Works handles these affairs. You can reach them at: (219) 322-6688 or (219) 322-5486.

back to top

How do I reserve a park shelter?

Please click here to view our rental information.

back to top

How do I reserve a room at the Schererville Community Center?

Please click here to be taken to our Community Center Rental information page.

back to top

What amenities are offered at the parks?

Please click here to review our Parks and their amenities.

back to top

How do I become a member for the Dog Park?

You can find the registration pack here. Registration can also be done at the Schererville Town Hall. You need to read and fill out a registration packet and also bring with you a copy of your dog's vaccinations. Fee is $60.00 for Residents and $100.00 for Non-Residents per calendar year. Once payment is made, members wil be issued a keycard for gate entrance into the Dog Park.

back to top

How do I know if a program or event is cancelled?

For programs requiring registration, the Parks Department will contact registrants to notify of the cancellation. For Special Events, call the Parks Department hotline at (219) 865-5530 ext. 6105 or check this website for up to date information.

back to top

What are the office hours?

The Parks Department office hours are Monday-Friday, 8am to 4:30pm, excluding holidays.

back to top

How do I get put on a waiting list?

If a program or trip is full and you would like to be put on the waiting list, please contact the Park Office at (219) 865-5530 or email Please include your name, telephone number, and the program or trip. A staff member from the Parks Department will contact you if a spot becomes available.

back to top

Can persons with disabilities participate in the programs offered?

Yes, programs are open to those with disabilities and special needs.  If special accommodations and needs are required, please notify the Park Department at least four (4) weeks prior to the start of a program or event. Click here for the Request for Accommodations Form.

back to top